How To Get Featured in Forbes
“I want to be in Forbes.”
“How come so-and-so is in Forbes? We have a better product.”
“How long will it take to get into Forbes?”
If, in my 15 years of working in PR, I had a dollar for every time a CEO or founder asked me a variation on how to get featured in Forbes, I’d be rich as hell, somewhere in Fiji, and more than likely not writing this article.
The truth is to this day there are still few media outlets that have as much swagger and impact as being featured in Forbes.
And I mean featured in the earned media sense, not the pay-to-play sense. In fact, because so much of Forbes’ content is now pay-to-play, when you get featured in Forbes on merit that one media placement skyrockets in value.
There are also few publications that inspire as much jealousy and FOMO (is FOMO still a thing?) amongst colleagues and competitors.
And while many business owners resort to paying for Forbes coverage (10/10 do not recommend btw) we get our clients into Forbes, earned and unpaid, like clockwork.
If Forbes is on your company’s media wishlist for 2023, use this simple strategy to increase your chances of getting Forbes coverage…and making everyone else jealous!
- Google your industry name + Forbes. You should see a whole list of articles pop up that have been published on Forbes that are related to your company’s line of business.
- Read as many of these articles as you can. You’ll notice that most of these articles are written by Forbes contributors, not staff writers (though that’s not always the case).For this particular media strategy we are looking for Forbes contributors. Think of these contributors as your colleagues with media access. Yes, you might see them as a “competitor” but drop that viewpoint at the door. They are now your media collaborators who work in the same industry as you and are eager to help you out. Remember when it comes to public relations, the goal first and foremost is to build relationships. If you’ve ever struggled to pitch a Forbes writer before and heard nothing back but crickets, this article from Forbes itself breaks down why your pitch was most likely met with ice cold silence.
- Cherry-pick a handful (3-5) of these contributors. You’ll be emailing these writers as a fellow industry expert (not as a know-it-all) and thought-leader who has related insights that these fellow colleagues might want to collaborate on. P.S. We love this breakdown on how to find reporter emails from PR friend, Prowly.
- Write a compelling “colleague to colleague” pitch. What a lot of people don’t mention is that writing to a Forbes contributor ( aka a fellow CEO in the industry) vs a full-time Forbes staff writer has a completely different vibe. Pro tip: When writing to your colleague, compliment and then complement. Meaning mention from an industry-insider’s perspective what you loved about their work, and then offer something different and complementary to their article. This simple pitch strategy is an easy way to leverage your credibility and build rapport with relevant Forbes contributors
- Suggest a potential collaboration and coverage. Once you showcase your industry knowledge on a specific topic, and in a compelling way — letting them know that you’d love to collaborate on any of their future articles would be a dream. I always like to suggest the topic (which would be whatever you just pitched them) but also ask what they’re currently working on and let them know that you’d be happy to help. NOTE: Happy to help doesn’t just mean being interviewed. It means offering up data, sources, connections — anything that would make their job a little easier
- Rinse and Repeat. Like I always say, a powerful media strategy is chess and not checkers. So a long term strategy, persistence, and effort always yields the best results. Don’t pitch once and stop — we literally wouldn’t own a PR agency if that’s how that actually worked!
Need help breaking into Forbes? Contact one of our Pink Shark PR team members at email@example.com and let’s chat about how a Forbes strategy can help increase your company’s brand awareness, boost credibility, and outshine your competitors.